Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Welcome to Hell

This is going to be where I talk about all the features I'm working on for my upcoming MOO, InfernoMOO. Today I'll just cover the basic premise of the game.

In InfernoMOO you play a recently deceased soul who, due to a life wasted on one sin or another, has been damned to spend the rest of eternity locked away in Hell. Torn away from all the comforts and familiarity of your living life, you now are forced to justify your existence in a strange and terrible land that seems devoid of any possibility of hope or salvation. Will you struggle, fuck, and kill your way to your rightful position in the ruling class of Hell or will you become just another one of the lost souls drifting hopelessly through the wastelands of Hell?

This game is based on a modified version of the HellMOO core, which is in turn based on LambdaMOO core. InfernoMOO is in many ways a love letter from me to HellMOO (which is, strangely enough, a post-apocalyptic weirdness game and has almost nothing to do with Hell), but differs enough from it in mechanics and content that there should be no overlap or competition between the two games. Both HellMOO and it's spin-off After the End are excellent games, though!

My other big inspiration is ConQUEST, a game with both the best crafting and the best combat system I've ever seen in a MUD. There are some fundamental design philosophy differences between InfernoMOO and ConQUEST, namely that ConQUEST is a very kind and fair game while InfernoMOO is not, but ConQUEST is still just about the most fun game on the internet and I have shamelessly stolen quite a few ideas from it.

With such well-designed and enjoyable games out there it's clear that I'm going to have to bring something special and new to the table if I want to be able to compete. Luckily, I'm feeling pretty confident in what I've got here to show you.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment